RE: The next step: nfsvers=4

Whichever way it's done, if v4 becomes the default, don't forget to also
make the default behavior be that the system will fall back and try a v3
mount if v4 isn't available.  Otherwise you'll break a huge percentage
of your user base.  Of course then you also have to deal with the
semantics of how to specifify "only v4" vs. "try v4 first and fall
back".