Re: NFS4 ACL <-> Posix ACL

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 05:44:07PM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> > > - we actually have directories where files should only be group readable.
> >
> > I don't get it--why not set an inheritable acl on those directories that
> > permits only read to the group?
>
> That only works if the client actually respects the acl...

I don't understand.  ACL enforcement and inheritance are both done on
the server side.

The problem is just that the umask is applied on the client side.  But
if the umask is 002, and an inheritable ACL permits only read, then the
result of inheritance and umask-application will be an ACL that permits
reads (and only reads) to the group owner (and to any named users and
groups).

--b.