Re: NFS4 ACL <-> Posix ACL

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 02:56:25AM +0100, Alex Bremer wrote:
> 2009/3/23, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> So is there any way to make newly created files group writeable except
> >> for setting the umask of each user to 002?
> >
> > I think that's the only option.
> >
> > And that looks hard to fix; if we were going to implement the same
> > "inheritance overrides umask" exception as we do for posix acls, either:
> >
> > 	- The server would have to know about the umask; this would
> > 	  require a protocol change.  (But it might not be that hard;
> > 	  you could have a write-only "set the mode to this, but only in
> > 	  the absence of inheritance" attribute.)
> > 	- The client would have to do the inheritance itself, as it does
> > 	  with posix acls.  This is perhaps not impossible, but it's
> > 	  much more complicated with v4 acls.
> >
> > Hm.  Another odd option: do the open with the create mode + umask, as we
> > currently do, then do a subsequent setattr to the create mode if the
> > create mode is more generous and if the client detects inheritable acls
> > on the parent directory.
>
> Why so complicated? Of course these options would be the nicest way to
> do it as it allows to set different permission inheritances on each
> directory. However for many use cases it would be enough if one could
> set the permissions on a share basis. A simple umask mount-option
> would already help a lot. This way administrators could enforce a
> umask on a share.

I don't know what to think of a umask mount option.  That's a question
for Trond.

> One of the problems with setting a global umask on a user basis is
> that it can be override very easily. If a user doesn't like the fact
> that all files are group writeable he can easily change it and then he
> usually forgets to set write-permissions manually when writing public
> files. As a consequence other users who want to write that file come
> to me to have the permissions reset as they can not even tell who is
> the owner of the file and ask him. :-)
>
> >> Setting the umask to 002 is
> >> not an option for us, but all files in the public area have to be
> >> group writeable. Is there maybe a mount option to set the umask or a
> >> server sided option which enforces the group writeable flag?
> >>
> >> I would expect that my use case is not that uncommon and that many
> >> companys have the exact same problem. Would the inheritance work if we
> >> used a fully NFS4-ACL compatible filesystem?
> >
> > No, and I suspect non-linux servers all have similar behavior in this
> > respect.
>
> Unix servery yes, but on windows using NTFS you can inherit permissions.
>
> With PosixACLs Unix finally got permission inheritance too and this is
> a blessing for administrators. The normal unix filesystem permissions
> are good enough for many use cases but in a company with many users
> and many different groups they do not fit. The simple case of allowing
> users of two different groups access to a directory without giving
> others rx access forces you to create a third group with all the users
> of both groups. Adding new users gets a pain in the ass as you have to
> add them to more and more groups just to get the permissions right.
>
> So Posix ACLs are really great for admins. From an admin's point of
> view I can't understand why the NFS4-ACLs - which are actually
> supperior to PosixACLs - still depend on the user's umask. I
> understand the problems you have from a programmers point of view but
> if I set a d:group:mask on a directory I expect that these permissions
> get inherited on the client side, too - like it was with NFS3+ACL.
>
> Don't understand me wrong: I don't want to flame here - I appritiate
> your work and I love NFS as it is damn fast. I just want to show you
> what an admin's expectation is. People who use PosixACLs are used to
> inheritance (if they set a default group or mask), windows people are
> used to it anyway and nobody would expect that when using NFS4 it all
> comes down to the user's umask settings. Especially as it was already
> working with NFS3. I know that NFS3+ACL is a totally different topic
> then NFS4+ACL but many user's won't care - especially as they do not
> have any advantage from NFS4ACLs as they are mapped to PosixACLs
> anyway.

I appreciate the problem--if nothing else this is a subtle change that
other admins will also hit, and that will be hard for them to diagnose.

I just don't see a really good solution.

> I really hate the security risks I have to take for NFS3

Are you aware that rpcsec_gss/krb5 still works for v3?

There are a few holes left (sideband protocols, notably mount, still use
auth_sys), but it might be enough for your purposes.

> but in my
> case I guess I have to revert the public shares back to NFS3. It would
> be really great if you could think about implementing a umask
> mount-option to allow enforced share based umask settings.
>

> >> How do other people share public files with NFS4? If there is no other
> >> way than setting the users's umask to 002, this would practically
> >> limit the use of NFS4 to private shares like home directories.
> >
> > I don't understand why--can't you use the user-private-group trick?:
>
> - umask setting can be overriden easily - see above

I'm surprised people fool with their umasks that much, but OK.

> - we actually have directories where files should only be group readable.

I don't get it--why not set an inheritable acl on those directories that
permits only read to the group?

--b.