Re: The next step: nfsvers=4

Chuck Lever wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2009, at Mar 19, 2009, 12:34 PM, Muntz, Daniel wrote:

Yes.. I agree...

>> Whichever way it's done, if v4 becomes the default, don't forget to also
>> make the default behavior be that the system will fall back and try a v3
>> mount if v4 isn't available.  Otherwise you'll break a huge percentage
>> of your user base.  Of course then you also have to deal with the
>> semantics of how to specifify "only v4" vs. "try v4 first and fall
>> back".
>
> Today, specifying vers=3 means "I want vers=3 or nothing".  Not
> specifying any version means the mount command can choose which version
> to use based on what both sides support.
>
> If no vers= option is specified, I don't think it would be difficult for
> the text-based mount command to try a "nfs4" mount first, and if that
> fails try an "nfs" mount.
>
> Steve, would you like me to provide a prototype mount.nfs command that
> handles this?
Well I was thinking more of lets walk before we run... meaning... lets just get the
'nfsvers=4' working and accepted. Then deal with the v4/v3/v2 fall back in the
next patch set...

As you say... the prototype looks to be pretty easy... so let me take a crack at
it... besides... you are making some good progress with IPV6 code... I don't
think this should get in the way of that...

steved.

steved.