Re: nfsstat --sleep=#

Hi Steve-

On Mar 16, 2009, at Mar 16, 2009, 12:18 PM, Steve Dickson wrote:
Chuck Lever wrote:
On Mar 12, 2009, at Mar 12, 2009, 3:32 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 01:22:32PM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
Actually I would rather see the performance metrics scripts improved. These tools give a lot more information than nfsstat ever will be able
to.

Probably so, but those scripts are a bit hard to find, aren't they?

We should
   - get distributions to install them by default
   - write man pages?
   - add references to them where possible (from the nfsstat man
     page, from howto's/faq's/?)

Steve promised me Red Hat would take care of this when these were added
to nfs-utils last year.
Not sure what I exactly promised (that's usually not my style 8-) )
but those scripts definitely fell off my radar...

You promised to find an intern to compose man pages, and do the legwork needed to get these reviewed internally, and installed when nfs-utils is installed. I think that last part requires constructing a suitable Makefile.am in the nfs-utils directory where these now live, and updating the parent Makefiles to invoke it.

There was some controversy over whether nfs-utils should have a dependency on having the Python interpreter installed. Since Red Hat (for example) already uses Python for the system-config-foo utilities, this might not be too much of a problem. In any event, if we decide that Python is not appropriate, it would be simple to convert the scripts to C, or even add this functionality to nfsstat (Bruce's suggestion).

Until then, unfortunately, improvements to nfsstat are more useful,
since nfsstat is the thing people are more likely to run across.

Again, I think improving nfsstat at this point (which is merely for
compatibility with Solaris) would be wasted work, if we already have
what is needed in another tool.  The Python tools are much more
sophisticated, and it would be confusing to add their functionality to
nfsstat (e.g. why can I zero the legacy stats with the -z option, but
not the stats the come from /proc/self/mountstats?).

Let's spend the effort on the tools that give us deeper results.
I have to agree... I truly think there is a wealth of untapped information
in those mountstats... Just waiting for someone to dip them out...

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com