Re: nfsstat --sleep=#

On Mar 12, 2009, at Mar 12, 2009, 3:32 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 01:22:32PM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
Actually I would rather see the performance metrics scripts improved.
These tools give a lot more information than nfsstat ever will be able
to.

Probably so, but those scripts are a bit hard to find, aren't they?

We should
	- get distributions to install them by default
	- write man pages?
	- add references to them where possible (from the nfsstat man
	  page, from howto's/faq's/?)

Steve promised me Red Hat would take care of this when these were added to nfs-utils last year.

Until then, unfortunately, improvements to nfsstat are more useful,
since nfsstat is the thing people are more likely to run across.

Again, I think improving nfsstat at this point (which is merely for compatibility with Solaris) would be wasted work, if we already have what is needed in another tool. The Python tools are much more sophisticated, and it would be confusing to add their functionality to nfsstat (e.g. why can I zero the legacy stats with the -z option, but not the stats the come from /proc/self/mountstats?).

Let's spend the effort on the tools that give us deeper results.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com