[NFS] nfsd hangs 2.6.28 through 2.6.28.7

We are seeing nfsd getting stuck in d wait at boot time. The fix seems to be stopping in single user mode prior to nfs starting, renaming /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery/ and making a new one, then letting the system continue. When it boots and hangs, all processes that touch /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery/ go into D-wait. However, if you rename it and let it boot you can look in the old directory. Any ideas what could be happening? Also, is there any documentation on the files in /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery/? We would like to possibly be able to decode the names.
begin:vcard
fn:David Warren
n:Warren;David
org:Atmospheric Sciences
adr:Dept of Atmospheric Sciences, Box 351640;;University of Washington;Seattle;WA;98195-1640;USA
email;internet:warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Software Engineer
tel;work:206 543-0945
url:http://www.atmos.washington.edu