Re: [NFS] mount.nfs kernel version check override

Cc: corrected.

On Mar 2, 2009, at Mar 2, 2009, 6:22 PM, Jon Mason wrote:
I am working on backporting NFS-RDMA to older versions of Linux for the
Open Fabrics Linux kernel stack (OFED).  I have backported NFS-RDMA to
RHEL5.2 (which has a kernel based on 2.6.18), and others are working on backporting to other older kernels. The issue that I have and they will
discover is that there is a check in the mount command for kernels
greater than 2.6.22. If it is older than this version, it will not pass
args to the kernel.

That's because those older kernels don't support text-based mount options. That will always be true of those upstream kernels.

I have come up with a patch to add an additional flag to the mount
command to allow this kernel version check to be over-ruled.  Please
consider adding it to the next release of the nfs-utils.

I am not the maintainer of nfs-utils, however: In general, features for backports like this are not considered for upstream. They are usually your responsibility. In this case, you would maintain your own copy of the mount command (or nfs-utils) that alters the kernel version check as needed.

Also, there used to be a "-i" switch that forced the mount.nfs command to send text-based mount options to the kernel. The reason it was never taken upstream was because no-one issues the mount.nfs command directly: it's a subcommand that is executed by the mount command. So there's no way to use it in /etc/fstab, for example. Not very useful!

Finally, the usual practice is to place a proposed patch in the body of an e-mail rather than using an attachment when posting patches. Most people find that easier to manage with patch tools, and can use normal reply quoting when reviewing and commenting on the patch.

Thanks!

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com