Re: PATCH: Support binding to a local IPv4 address when mounting a server.

Chuck Lever wrote:

Why not clientaddr?  That is already used for NFS version 4, and it works
just fine for version 3 as well.  I can't think of any reason to have
a new variable.

That may make sense for NFSv2/v3, but nfs(5) documents the clientaddr specifically as the client's NFSv4 callback server address. Is there ever a case where we want to specify a NFSv4 callback address that's different from the source address of your NFSv4 forward channel? Are we sure these will always be the same?

Conversely, do we always want to limit our NFSv4 traffic to a single bind address when clientaddr= is specified?

IMO the coding and documentation overhead for reusing clientaddr would be the same or greater than creating a new mount option, and the result would be more confusing. These two options do different things. I'd be interested to hear opinions from others on the list.

"bindaddr=" might be more clear than "localaddr=". I checked Solaris 10, but it doesn't seem to have a similar capability. So, no guidance there...

Either way is fine with me.  I'll change it to be bindaddr unless
I hear another opinion.

Thanks,
Ben

--