Re: PATCH: Support binding to a local IPv4 address when mounting a server.

Chuck Lever wrote:
A handful of generic comments.

1. This needs to be broken into smaller patches before submission; preferably before you submit another version for review. Take a look at the linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx archives to see how we handle large changes like this.

2. You should support local addresses only in the text-based path (utils/mount/stropts.c) and not in the legacy paths (utils/mount/nfs[4]mount.c). I don't think we're ever going to allow a version 7 of the mount data structure.
I could remove the version 7 data field, but what about the other code that creates
sockets for 'pinging' nfs daemons and such?   Is that code deprecated now?

If nothing else, it looks like "probe_bothports" needs a client-addr to pass on to methods it calls, and so forth. That means that other code that calls those
methods needs to be updated, and thus my huge repetitive patch.

3. There are some umount-related changes coming up for IPv6 that will touch the umount paths here; that may require some changes in your modifications.
That should be fine. I tried to make my current patch friendly for IPv6 and want to support local
IPv6 binding as well.

4. This needs to have support for a new mount option in the kernel (not a command-line option to the mount.nfs command, as you have implemented) to handle passing the address to the kernel.
I think I already have this ready in the kernel, but I've been using the version 7 field to pass in data using mount.nfs. Can you give an example of a user-space command that would use the new mount option as you suggest? Do you do /etc/fstab any different for instance?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com