NFS intr/nointr: SIGKILL may leave pages locked forever

Hi Matthew-

We are still trying to pursue intr/nointr testing on 2.6.25+ kernels. Looks like this week's kernel version is 2.6.27-rc7, but I will need to confirm that.

Since 2.6.25, the problem is the "sql shutdown abort" command, which is designed to trigger an immediate database shutdown, causes the database instance to hang. It leaves database writer processes stuck in "D" state after it sends a SIGKILL.

The process backtraces suggest that these processes are waiting for the inode mutex before trying to invalidate the database file's cache (nfs_invalidate_mapping). There is one process that owns the mutex and is stuck waiting for a page lock in invalidate_inode_pages2_range. This suggests that the signal is causing some other code path to neglect to unlock that page.

It's a little out of my league. Are there ways we can gather more information?

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com