Re: RESTRICTED_STATD

Hi Chuck,

On Thursday September 4, chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > The IP address of that the SM_NOTIFY came from is the most reliable
> > thing we have to identify which host just rebooted.  We use that to
> > find a 'dns_name' when we first MONitor a host, and use that name for
> > the file stored in /var/lib/nfs/sm.  We then match the source of
> > SM_NOTIFY against those file names.
>
> Honestly, I would have thought exactly the opposite is true.  How
> would that work with multi-homed peers?  Or with peers that might get
> their IP addresses via DHCP?

The DNS is used specifically to deal with multi-homed peers.  We used
to just store IP addesses and match on IP addresses.  But that doesn't
work with multi-homed hosts.
The fully qualified DNS name is the closest thing we have to a
reliable unique host identifier, so that is what we use.

Clients that use DHCP might be a problem if it isn't hooked in to the
DNS properly.  I don't think there is any really good general solution
to that problem.  I certainly would trust the monname reported by such
a client.

The problem here is that STATMON is over-engineered and
under-specified.  You cannot implement it "correctly".  The best we
can do is to do our best.  And I think that means using DNS names as
the primary key.  It is at least a well understood primary key.

> Is there any guidance in the Open Group standard on how to match
> SM_NOTIFY requests to SM_MON?  I had thought it was "use the mon_name,
> Luke".

I don't know what the Open Group standards say.  My vague memory is
"not very much" but I could be wrong.  However I think that "always
use the mon_name" doesn't actually work in practice, so it doesn't
really matter if it is a standard or not.

> And normally I would take that approach.  In this case, folks want
> real IPv6 support yesterday...

The cynic in me wonders if this is just so they can tick the box, or
if there is a real use case that demands it.  Hopefully it is the
latter.  :-)

NeilBrown