Re: RESTRICTED_STATD

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 6:57 AM, Steve Dickson <SteveD@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chuck Lever wrote:
>> Hi guys-
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone ever builds nfs-utils with RESTRICTED_STATD
>> undefined these days.  It seems totally insecure to do.  Is it still
>> necessary to keep this?
>>
>> It would be easier to understand, update, and test the logic in
>> utils/statd/monitor.c (IPv6-wise) if we could remove the unused parts of
>> this code.
>>
>> I propose removing RESTRICTED_STATD, leaving in the secure version of
>> the code permanently and removing the insecure parts that are left out
>> when RESTRICTED_STATD is undefined.
>>
>> Thoughts?
> I seem to remember enabling RESTRICTED_STATD cause problems with
> portmapper and kernel interactions which causes me to turn it off...
> So if we do permanently turn on the code, let make sure lock recover
> and such still work...

Enabling RESTRICTED_STATD is the current default.

Disabling RESTRICTED_STATD allows remote hosts to register
notification requests with rpc.statd.  It's called out in a 1999 CERT
advisory.  I don't think any distribution would ever want to allow
this.

However, there may be some folks who build rpc.statd themselves for
specialized applications may miss it if we pull it out.

--
"If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of
orthodoxy."