Re: mount issue with Mac OSX and --manage-gids, client hangs

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Alex Samad <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a nfs debian amd64 server, with a few linux clients that is
> working well. I recently tried to attach a mac osx (10.5 Leopard)
> client.
>
> Everytime I attached it would hang when i attempted to use the mount
>
> on the nas box I have this line in /etc/exports
> /exports/shared
> -async,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash,insecure,mp=/exports/shared
> 192.168.8.0/22(rw)

One comment: you shouldn't need "insecure" if you are mounting on the
command line and not from the Finder's "Go" menu.  The Finder will try
to mount an NFS share using a non-privleged port, but Darwin's mount
command (and automounter, AFAIK) works like other Unices -- it should
try to use a privileged port for communicating with the server.

> I mounted with this command
>
> mount -t nfs -o rw,async,rsize=32768,wsize=32768
> nas.hme1.samad.com.au:/exports/shared /mounts/shared
>

> I then tried
>
> df -h &
> ls -l /mounts/shared &
> umount -f /mounts/shared &
>
> all the commands failed to return, I could not kill them with -9, I had
> to reboot

I find looking at the Mac's dmesg via Console.app to be helpful in such cases.

--
 "Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow-moving dipping mechanism."
--Dr. Evil