Re: NFS performance degradation of local loopback FS.

Dean Hildebrand <seattleplus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on 06/27/2008 11:36:28 PM:

> One option might be to try using O_DIRECT if you are worried about
> memory (although I would read/write in at least 1 MB at a time).  I
> would expect this to help at least a bit especially on reads.
>
> Also, check all the standard nfs tuning stuff, #nfsds, #rpc slots.
> Since with a loopback you effectively have no latency, you would want to
> ensure that neither the #nfsds or #rpc slots is a bottleneck (if either
> one is too low, you will have a problem).  One way to reduce the # of
> requests and therefore require fewer nfsds/rpc_slots is to 'cat
> /proc/mounts' to see your wsize/rsize.  Ensure your wsize/rsize is a
> decent size (~ 1MB).

Number of nfsd: 64, and
      sunrpc.transports = sunrpc.udp_slot_table_entries = 128
      sunrpc.tcp_slot_table_entries = 128

I am using:

      mount -o
rw,bg,hard,nointr,proto=tcp,vers=3,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,timeo=600,noatime
 localhost:/local /nfs

I have also tried with 1MB for both rsize/wsize and it didn't change the BW
(other than
mini variations).

thanks,

- KK