Re: NFS performance degradation of local loopback FS.

chucklever@xxxxxxxxx wrote on 06/27/2008 07:36:44 PM:

> > But loopback is better than actual network traffic.
>
> What precisely do you mean by that?

Sorry I was not clear. I meant that the loopback will be better than
actual traffic between different server/client.

> You are testing with the client and server on the same machine.  Is
> the loopback mount over the lo interface, but you mount the machine's
> actual IP address for the "network" test?

Actually isn't that the same? I am using localhost in any case.

> It would be interesting to compare a network-only performance test
> (like iPerf) for loopback and for going through the NIC.

iperf (one thread, 64K I/O size, 30 secs):
      NIC: 445 MB/s
      Loopback: 735 MB/s

In retrospect, for disk I/O:
      /nfs (loopback): 29 MB/s            (25.5% drop)
      /nfs (from a real server): 27 MB/s  (30.5% drop, only point is that
            this is a different disk on a different system and it doesn't
make
            much sense to compare this to /local).

Thanks,

- KK