Re: [NFS] NFS performance debugging

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 22.29:31 J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:17:24PM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:

> > Starting KDE, opening documents, sometimes also closing oo.org and
> > saving documents takes several seconds longer than on local disk.
>
> "close" on nfs is an operation that requires a round-trip to the server
> and waiting for the disk to commit any writes made before the close, so
> if you've got to do a lot of those it can take time.  Fooling with the
> journaling on the exported filesystem may help.

Are there tools to measure latencies on NFS?  Given a network dump, desired
output would be histograms of latencies by file operation?  (Or maybe I can
catch the information on the client, VFS side instead of NFS?

At this time, I really need to collect more data on where the problem is
since all I'm doing right now is fooling around based on assumptions... :-(

OTOH I'd suspect KDE/oo.org startup to be mostly reads of those config
files, so the problem shouldn't be close latencies.  Assumptions again.

> > TODO today: play around with NFSv4 on the shaky assumption that nfsv3
> > is actually working but net latency is killing my performance.
>
> Delegations *might* help if the problem is really open latency.

First tries showed
 * There are no acl on my files now
 * user id mapping seems funny: some users map to nobody, others map
correctly.  Huh?
 * Performance seems to be ok (timing desktop applications is always
difficult, and so far I'm working against on the production server with
varying load anyway...)

Haven't investigated these yet...

cheers
-- vbi

--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 30th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3174