Re: [NFS] NFS performance debugging

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies (You too, Trond)

On Monday 23 June 2008 21.28:36 you wrote:

[... NFS performance ...]

> In what way exactly is it sluggish?

Starting KDE, opening documents, sometimes also closing oo.org and saving
documents takes several seconds longer than on local disk.

Certainly network latency (especially with these silly lots of small config
files) takes some time, but I'm still surprised.  At the same time, I don't
have data to compare a "known good" NFS against ours, so perhaps NFS is
indeed so slow?

> > tcpdump shows many "reply ERR 1448" etc. msgs whenever NFS activitiy is
> > going on (both stat like with "find /home" or read/write with dd)
>
> I'm afraid I don't know how to read that tcpdump output.

tcpdump "-vvv" doesn't give more information on these packets; at the same
time wireshark doesn't show anything suspicious except tons of wrong TCP
checksums caused (I hope...) by offloading.  I'll have to look if I can get
the raw traffic at the network switch to check this (but I think with 30%
and more wrong tcp checksums, traffic would completely break down so I'm
quite confident here.)

Slightly different topic: is there an NFS related mailing list I can
subscribe to?  This one is apparently closed for new subscribers, and the
bounce instructs me to send mail to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx which
bounces :-(  Reading others' NFS postings might just give me more ideas on
where to look.

TODO today: play around with NFSv4 on the shaky assumption that nfsv3 is
actually working but net latency is killing my performance.

cheers
-- vbi

--
The typewriting machine, when played with expression, is no more
annoying than the piano when played by a sister or near relation.