[NFS] the infamous" device is busy" bug

I'm running 2.6.25-gentoo-r1 on an AMD 64 box along with
nfs-utils-1.1.2-r1 and I have /var/lib/nfs symlinked to a separate
filesystem, /database/nfs

Now the system is running drbd and heartbeat and /database is on
drbd, so that if the server fails, the secondary server will be able
to immediately take over nfs using the identical data on its
/database/nfs.

If, however, I want to manually stop heartbeat on the primary server,
I cannot because /database will not umount, complaining "the device
is busy". I've tried to manually by shutting down all things nfs, but
something is still holding it, and nfsd in the kernel is the culprit.
I tested that by loading the module and from that point forward,
trying to unmount /database just results in the "device is busy"
complaint. That means the only way I can shutdown heartbeat is to
physically shut down the server.
--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@xxxxxxxxxxxx