Re: [patch] fix statd -n

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 12:42:49PM -0400, Janne Karhunen wrote:
> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 11:58 AM, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  The statd -n option has actually *never* worked, in any previous version
> >  of nfs-utils--with it specified, statd can no longer communicate with
> >  the nfs server on the same host.  That means the server won't find out
> >  when a client reboots.  (But I guess even the broken -n may still have
> >  been sufficient to allow clients to monitor the server and find out when
> >  the server reboots.)
>
> -n may work as is in 1.1.* tree:

Oh, right, I'd forgotten about that change.

> a) It will bind to ANY, so kernel lockd will see packets coming
> in from LO. 1.0.x bound the -n interface which will break.
>
> b) sm-notify is run with -v and correct name (that will bind to
> correct IP and use the right name)
>
> So the only thing missing would be to limit the port visibility
> of long-standing sockets; but this should probably be
> discussed in another thread if you think it's worth it?

Is the only justification just to limit the consequences if a remote
exploit is found in statd?

If so, iptables seems the better solution, since it provides a uniform
way of limiting the exposure of the ports for all the various
nfs-related (and other) services, as opposed to just being a one-off
thing for statd.

--b.