Re: The text-based mount interface doesn't support -s (--sloppy)

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:17:39 -0400
Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:50:09 -0400
> > Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> The grpid mount option is what triggered our earlier discussion of --
> >> sloppy as well.
> >>
> >> An expedient solution may be to tell the kernel mount option parser
> >> specifically to ignore these common automounter options, like grpid.
> >> Jeff, what do you think of that?
> >>

> > That might reduce the pain for now...
> >
> > I tend to think the big problem is people sharing autofs maps between
> > different OS's. It's hard to predict what options we might see that
> > are
> > valid on another OS. We really need to define what the sloppy flag
> > means and how it behaves. It's a reasonably safe assumption that
> > autofs
> > will use it, so hooking that up is probably the best solution.
> >
> > Personally, I like the idea of just adding a "sloppy" mount option and
> > making "-s" add it to the string. When someone adds that option, the
> > kernel could just skip over options it doesn't recognize. When it's
> > not
> > present, then it would fail on any unrecognized options.
> >
> > This might mean that we need to have the kernel parser do more than
> > one
> > pass over the string though. Once to look for the sloppy option, and
> > again to parse the others. This is not such a bad thing, IMO...there
> > are some other options that can get clobbered depending on order.
>
> The mount.nfs command can easily guarantee that the "sloppy" option
> comes first.  It might be a nice added flexibility to allow the parser
> to switch from strict to sloppy mode in the middle of the option string.

That's fine with me, but we'll definitely need to document that. People
usu assume that the order of mount options don't matter.

> > For instance, if retrans or timeo is parsed before "tcp" those options
> > can get overwritten. We may end up needing a multi-pass parser
> > anyway...
>
> The parser can be made more careful about how those options are handled.

Yep. That's another option (and is probably easier to implement too).

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>