Re: [patch] fix statd -n

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 8:02 PM, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  > I didn't get the idea. So the idea is to use multiple sockets,
>  > one bound to LOOPBACK and one to external interface?
>
>  I suppose so.  One socket would be for communication for the local
>  kernel nfsd, one for communication with statd peers.

Ok, but that's really quite intrusive - my goal with that
patch was to minimize the amount of changes. Sure,
we can rework larger part of it if you think is better
that way.

>  > Complicated and unclean in my opinion: one address
>  > should suffice.
>
>  The advantage is that it would require no changes to the kernel or
>  kernel interfaces, and would also solve the problem for people that
>  don't want to upgrade their kernels.

Right, but that's hardly an issue with Linux. You need
to do that twice per week anyway ;)

>  The "rpc over lo" interface to the kernel's lockd is simple enough, and
>  I'd rather not replace it with "rpc over either lo or the interface
>  specified via sysctl" unless there's a really clear advantage.
>
>  (Also, would your patch mean lockd could accept requests that could have
>  spoofed source addresses?)

Yes, but loopback can also be spoofed. And it
does already improve things by making it bind
specific interface/address instead of ANY (ports
open all around).

--
// Janne