Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the devicetree tree

On Thu, Dec 7, 2023 at 2:58 PM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2023 09:11:22 -0600 Rob Herring <robh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'm sending out fixes for all these. I want to get the final patch
> > ("of: Stop circularly including of_device.h and of_platform.h") for
> > all this in next to get some better build coverage and catch any new
> > drivers added. But if it is dropped for every new driver that breaks,
> > I'll never get it in. Can you fix these up or just leave them broken?
> > I can keep the fixes in my tree until they get applied by the
> > corresponding subsystem.
>
> These dependencies between trees are impossible to handle.  Please if
> you really need the final patch in, then you must put all the necessary
> fixes in the same branch.  There is no telling what order Linus (or I)
> will merge the interdependent branches.
>
> The alternative is to spray the needed fixes out to the other
> subsystems and then put the final patch in after the merge window
> closes or the next release.

Yes, that's what I've been doing since July and plan to do for the
final patch. The final patch can't wait a cycle because then we'll
just have more moles to wack. There's a couple of dependencies that
still haven't been picked up (seems Sparc is unmaintained), so I'm
going to send those along. I'll carry any further fixes until they I
see they are applied.

> I cannot "just leave them broken" because that will interfere with
> other's trying to get their work done. I will try fix up the newly
> added drivers if they are obvious, but in the case of these include file
> cleanups, that can be quite difficult sometimes.

The simple (but not completely correct) fix is usually just add of.h
and platform_device.h. There could be a case of needing of_platform.h
instead of of_device.h or vice-versa, but those should all be fixed
and rare in new code.

Thanks,
Rob