Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the devicetree tree

On Wed, Dec 6, 2023 at 7:57 PM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After merging the devicetree tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> allmodconfig) failed like this:

Not too surprised...

> drivers/auxdisplay/img-ascii-lcd.c: In function 'img_ascii_lcd_probe':

This is fixed in the auxdisplay tree. There are other trees with
dependencies as well, so I guess they happen to get merged before the
DT tree?

> drivers/firmware/microchip/mpfs-auto-update.c:439:42: warning: 'struct platform_device' declared inside parameter list will not be visible outside of this definition or declaration
> drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/aux-hpd-bridge.c:27:9: error: implicit declaration of function 'of_node_put' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

These look like new drivers since I last tested.

> drivers/tty/serial/esp32_acm.c:367:37: warning: 'struct platform_device' declared inside parameter list will not be visible outside of this definition or declaration
> drivers/tty/serial/esp32_uart.c:678:36: warning: 'struct platform_device' declared inside parameter list will not be visible outside of this definition or declaration

This one I just missed...

I'm sending out fixes for all these. I want to get the final patch
("of: Stop circularly including of_device.h and of_platform.h") for
all this in next to get some better build coverage and catch any new
drivers added. But if it is dropped for every new driver that breaks,
I'll never get it in. Can you fix these up or just leave them broken?
I can keep the fixes in my tree until they get applied by the
corresponding subsystem.

Rob