Re: [BUG -next] "memcg: charge before adding to swapcache on swapin" broken

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 05:23:04PM -0700, Shakeel Butt wrote:
> CC: Minchan
>
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 2:39 PM Shakeel Butt <shakeelb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I have to correct myself, actually the system has both: a real disk
> > > _and_ zram as swap devices:
> > >
> > > # swapon -s
> > > Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
> > > /dev/dasdb1                             partition       21635084        0       -2
> > > /dev/zram0                              partition       1014780 0       100
> > >
> > > When I disable /dev/zram with "swapoff /dev/zram0" the problem is away
> > > as well, even with your patch applied.
> >
> > Thanks a lot. This was really helpful. I will try with zram on my setup.
> >
> > Can you also try with just one type of swap at the time for both? I
> > really appreciate your help.
>
> Never mind I think I found the issue. Can you please add
> set_page_private(page, entry.val) before swap_readpage(page, true) in
> function do_swap_page() in mm/memory.c and try the swapping01 test
> again?
>
> Michan, for SWP_SYNCHRONOUS_IO swap, do we ever reset page->private?
> Normally for swapcache pages, it gets reset on delete from swap cache
> but these types of swap skips swapcache, so, I think we never reset
> page->private.

Yub, you are correct.

> The simplest solution I can think of is to do set_page_private(page,
> entry.val) before swap_readpage(page, true) and set_page_private(page,
> 0) after.

Since I did't read the bug in detail, I couldn't come up with how the
missing reset is connected the problem while missing set_page_private
with entry.val is clear.

Anyway, your point is correct and I cannot think better way.

Thanks.