Re: next/master boot: 177 boots: 1 failed, 176 passed (next-20180808)

* Tony Lindgren <tony@xxxxxxxxxxx> [180821 08:58]:
> * Kevin Hilman <khilman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [180820 21:32]:
> > Any other ideas for where the delay is coming from?
>
> I think v4.16 is OK or at least I did not have any luck
> reproducing it so far on v4.16. I can reproduce it with
> v4.17, tried bisecting yesterday but of course it went
> nowhere as there's no easy way to know if some commit is
> good without booting it tens of times.

I think I managed to bisect it down to commit 554c8aa8ecad
("sched: idle: Select idle state before stopping the tick").
And looks like there's a fix being discussed for it at:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/2161372.IsD4PDzmmY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

At least so far I have not been able to reproduce the issue
with the patch being discussed, maybe give it a try on
your test system too.

I'm guessing that probably the only reason why it was not
caught earlier with omap2plus_defconfig is that it has more
devices enabled and produces more interrupts compared to
multi_v7_defconfig.

Regards,

Tony