Re: Intel sound proke in today;s next

On 26.07.2010 19:24, Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:57:22 +0200,
Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

On 26.07.2010 09:29, Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:56:50 +0200,
Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

On 25.07.2010 17:27, Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:59:00 +1000,
Stephen Rothwell wrote:

[Just cc'ing the sound tree contact]

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 20:24:36 +0200 Piotr Hosowicz<piotr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>    wrote:

Hello,

I just downloaded today's next and built it, then booted. Sound is not
working, my card is:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio
Controller

I am now booted with latest git kernel and cannot provide more info
here, I rebooted with that kernel because I am going to sleep and I like
to listen to music by night. If more details is necessary I could boot
that next tommorow, but tell me what you need.

Make sure that your mixer setup is correct with a new kernel.
Usually alsactl restores the right mixer values, though.

At best, run alsa-info.sh (with --no-upload option) on both kernels to
compare.  Also you can try to pull only sound git tree instead of
linux-kernel to identify whether it's a problem in the sound tree or
somewhere else.  Anyway, see Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt for
some details.

I do not see such script, alsa-info.sh.

The location of the script is found in the document mentioned above.

I dont know how to pull only the
sound tree.

The sound git tree URL is found in the document mentioned above.
Just do git-pull onto your cloned Linus tree.

I don't knmow how to pull _onto_ existing files. git says that it is not
a repo and refuses to download files, I thought that first I have to
make git clone, but I was happy that it's not like that.

First clone, then pull onto it,

   % git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
   % cd linux-2.6
   % git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git

This is what I tried but the second git invocation failed saying that thre is no repo info in that directory.

Anyway, if your codec is either IDT or STAC codec, try the latest sound
git or wait for tomorrow's linux-next tree.  A fix regarding the volume
was committed today.

I bet it is not a problem with volume, because it (fresh from linus repo) prints error messages when loading alsa sound during system start. Something that there is no sound device, as far as I remember.

Regards,

Piotr Hosowicz

--
Z cyklu "Uroki demokracji", czyli pytania i odpowiedzi w teledurniejach:
- Jaką walutę mają Indie?