Re: linux-next: ftrace tree build failure

* Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
>
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:14:56 +0100 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > this has been fixed already a few days ago (if you google for the build
> > failure string it will send you straight to the fix patch) - i just didnt
> > push it out to the -next branches yet during the hollidays. (did that now)
>
> Thanks.
>
> > Generally if you see a problem with our trees you can check whether an
> > issue is still present in tip/master:
> >
> >   http://people.redhat.com/mingo/tip.git/README
>
> I'll try to remember ...
>
> [I wish you had stopped there]
>
> > before duplicating fixing effort and reporting it as a genuine issue -
>
> It broke a linux-next build - just how genuine does an issue have to be?

as genuine i mean 'new, unknown issue' - not an issue that has been
reported to lkml already by testers and has been fixed already.

The thing is, i wouldnt have said that had you not said:

> > [...] A bit more care, please.

i can do without such suggestions in the merge window really - it looked
rather condescending to me. A lkml search or a trivial google for the
build failure pattern would have given you a working patch.

	Ingo