Re: linux-next: manual merge of the perfmon3 tree

Ingo,

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 4:33 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > In any case, until that happens and until there's agreement with
>> > the x86 maintainers (there's none at the moment) the perfmon3 tree
>> > (or at least its x86 bits) needs to be removed from linux-next. I
>> > already see a number of problems with the patchset that we'll have
>> > to work out via an iterative review process.
>>
>> That process has been happening except it seems that the x86
>> maintainers haven't bothered to participate. [...]
>
> uhm, that's plain not true. There are three x86 maintainers and we
> take pride in replying to all x86 patch submission within a day
> typically, so i reject your suggestion.
>
> We know and knew about the existence of the perfmon patches, but they
> were always in the vague RFC category and never directly submitted or
> Cc:-ed to us.

As Stephen pointed out, the full patchset was posted on LKML in October
I never saw any comments from you or any other x86 maintainers. I always
assumed you were ALL on LKML anyway.

The perfmon patchset has been posted on LKML numerous times. I have
listened to all comments and made tons of changes both internally and to
the syscall APIs. I would not call this patchset a 'vague RFC'.

> The authors of those patches never even bothered to Cc: the x86 arch
> maintainers, and never asked for those patches to be Ack-ed, accepted
> or reviewed. If that is not so, please show me the lkml link that
> contradicts my claim.

You were cc'ed but apparently there is a problem with the script I am using
to post this patchset as it seems it was sent only to LKML and the cc-list
got dropped.

> All i'm asking for is to not use linux-next as a backdoor to get
> _unreviewed_ and _clearly bad_ patches behind the back of architecture
> maintainers who specifically asked to be involved.

I would appreciate if you could explain and point me to the x86 code which
you think is bad. I am always happy to take constructive comments to
improve the code.

I have reposted the full patchset yesterday on LKML but unfortunately my
script dropped the cc-list. I will repost today making sure x86@xxxxxxxxxx
is cc'ed. I am sorry about that, it never was intentional. I will be waiting for
your feedback on the x86 code.