Re: linux-next: stackprotector tree build failure

* Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:29:23 +0200 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I've Cc:-ed Junio and the Git list as a general FYI - but it must be
> > frustrating to get such a bugreport, because i have no reproducer.
> >
> > git-rerere sometimes seems to be picking up the wrong resolution. VERY
> > rarely.
> >
> > It seems random and content dependent. Once it happened to
> > arch/x86/kernel/traps_32.c and now to kernel/fork.c. Along the ~170
> > successful resolutions i have in my tree right now. And i do many
> > conflict resolutions every day - and it happened only once every 6
> > months or so.
> >
> > (the arch/x86/kernel/traps_32.c one happened regularly, that's why i
> > thought it's content sha1 dependent, and not some corruption.)
> >
> > Next time it happens i'll be on the watchout and will save the complete
> > tree.
>
> I think rerere matches preimages on the SHA1 of the conflict (or its
> reverse), so sufficiently similar pieces of code will match.  I would
> expect things like ext2/3/4 to be candidates.  Did the traps_32.c one
> match one for traps_64.c?
>
> I may be mistaken, but I once followed the code in rerere to try to
> figure out how to fix a resolution.

the traps_32.c one was that git-rerere put in a traps_64.c end result.
So i ended up with a 32-bit kernel that tried to build a 64-bit piece of
code - fireworks. That condition persisted - i had to fix it up manually
all the time i integrated that portion of the tree. That too was i think
centered around a header file chunk - perhaps the #include section of
traps_32.c and traps_64.c was similar enough in that section?

	Ingo