Re: linux-next: stackprotector tree build failure

* Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
>
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 06:32:27 +0200 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > This seems to have been caused by a git-rerere bug - it mis-matched a
> > timers tree conflict resolution. I cleared out that resolution (it had
> > nothing to do with stackprotector), re-did the conflict resolution
> > (which was about overlapping additions of header files), and pushed out
> > a new stackprotector tree - the delta below has the expected result.
>
> I wondered how you could have possibly got that result - aren't
> computers wonderful! :-)

heh, yes :)

this is the second time i met a git-rerere mismatch - the first one was
half a year ago.

Unfortunately i failed at generating a reproducer back then and even now
- as to resolve this problem i manually removed the preimage and
postimage, so it's gone now.

I've Cc:-ed Junio and the Git list as a general FYI - but it must be
frustrating to get such a bugreport, because i have no reproducer.

git-rerere sometimes seems to be picking up the wrong resolution. VERY
rarely.

It seems random and content dependent. Once it happened to
arch/x86/kernel/traps_32.c and now to kernel/fork.c. Along the ~170
successful resolutions i have in my tree right now. And i do many
conflict resolutions every day - and it happened only once every 6
months or so.

(the arch/x86/kernel/traps_32.c one happened regularly, that's why i
thought it's content sha1 dependent, and not some corruption.)

Next time it happens i'll be on the watchout and will save the complete
tree.

	Ingo