Re: Which distro?

On Saturday 14 September 2013 02:54:11 Bradley D. Thornton wrote:
> On 09/13/2013 06:23 AM, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > which linux distribution would You recommend?

(snippage)

> 4.) Debian: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/
>
> Debian is also widely considered to be, along with Slackware, one of the
> most stable and reliable Linux distros. Running Debian Testing means you
> are using it as a rolling release, and although it's not quite as easy
> as maintaining Slackware or LMDE, it is the core that LMDE is based on
> and will serve you quite well for many years w/o ever having to perform
> another installation.
>
> Whether you choose LMDE (based on Debian Testing) or Debian Testing,
> making sure your distro is current involves the simple use of the same
> tools
>
> # apt-get -y update
>
> aptitude and synaptic are also tools you can use.
>
> The problem with Debian is that *current*, isn't always as current as
> many people, including yourself, might like - This is by design, and
> intended as such for the sake of stability (the very same reason all of
> the ewboontew variants are so unstable).

Depends whether Peter means 'up-to-date' or 'bleeding-edge'.   I've always run
Debian Stable (currently Squeeze), and that's always very easy to install and
update.   For a newbie, Stable may be a better starting point than Testing.

If I want a particular very new capability that Stable doesn't have I usually
Google for it and see if I can download a package from a third-party site
(like, say, deb-multimedia.org).

One suggestion, which may make windowshopping a bit easier whichever distro he
finally settles on - make several partitions, install a known reliable distro
in one partition to use for daily work like emails etc, and install the
'trial' distro in another partition.   (And keep all user data in yet another
partition separate from the OS).   You can multi-boot into whichever one you
want with Grub.   Then of course, if the 'trial' distro turns out to be
satisfactory, just switch to using that one.

cr