Re: files and directories with spaces in bash script

Karthik Vishwanath wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to write a script to organize/sort my music collection. All of my music is arranged as Artist/Album folders with tracks within them, and most of these names have spaces (if not other strange characters). The script I am trying to get working needs to get all filenames in a specified directory so that I can process each file at a time. I am trying to do this as:

#!/bin/bash
# set_idv3_tags.sh

for directory in "$@"; do
  if [[ -d "$directory" ]]; then
    for f in `find $directory -iname '*mp3' `; do
      echo "found mp3 file: $f"
    done
  fi
done

Obviously, $f is getting word-split at each space encountered in $directory as well as in the filename. How can I set bash to give me an array/variable that I loop over for each file found only, irrespective of spaces without using sed to replace the spaces with _ etc.?

I did think of -print0, but could not get to loop over each file and I prefer not to use ls. What are my options with bash, or is it just better to get this written with Perl?

Thanks!

-K

You can use my Perl script written for the same purpose. The options are
'-r' and '-v' as in recursive and verbose, respectively.

I have attached the script to the mail. Hope it helps.

--
Flemming Greve Skovengaard                   Just a few small tears between
a.k.a Greven, TuxPower                       Someone happy and one sad

# remove_invalid - Removes invalid characters from filenames.
# Copyright (C) 2004-2005  Flemming Greve Skovengaard
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
# of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.

# File:                 remove_invalid
# Version:              0.5.0
# Date (YYYY-MM-DD):    2006-11-29