Re: DialUp and ADSL on same machine??

On 11-23, Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if I understand all what I read in this thread,--does it boil
> down to the fact that Hal cannot send mail using stand alone mail programs via
> his old mail addresses when using his new DSL.
>
> I had/have this same problem with my broadband via DHCPD that I could/can send
> mail only through the email-address of the ISP of the BB and not via my old
> e-mail addresses. In fact I encounter this problem every-now-and-then when
> either my base station brakes down or they do a major upgrade.

	So it's confirmed what Chuck and I have suspected; that my
two ISP's can't or won't talk to each other.. Chuck has really spent
an inordinate amount of time holding my hand on this..

> I then inform this BB ISP and depending how lucky I am to get connected to the
> right knowledgeable person (last time it took 3 weeks) in a matter of less
> then a minute the problem is solved. They pull a switch or press a button, so
> to speak and out goes the mail which had hung in the queue. I have 2 mail
> addresses beside the one given by the BB ISP which I do not use.

	Some things are easy when you know how, eh?

> They try to make me use their browser based mail program which I refuse since
> I find those programs cumbersome.

	I cannot use their supplied software at all.. Most suffer
with it I gather..

> When I have the problem of not sending mail with nail, exmh or whatsoever I
> use www.mail2web.com in the meantime until the switch has been pulled again.
> With mail2web.com I can use my old addresses.

	That's a good suggestion to archive.. As of now I'm using
Chucks previous suggestion of two separate directories with the setup
parameters peculiar to which operation..

> It is also important that the SMTP address is set correctly for outgoing mail
> which has to be the one of the ISP of the BB or I guess a DSL. Thunderbird and
> Sylpheed-claws are IMO easiest for this to set-up.

	Chuck uses Thunderbird and it must be a great program like
almost everything that comes out of Mozilla.. Verizon insists on IE6
with all it's limitations.. Neither my wife or I can use a GUI for
eMail except in very small doses.. That's our problem, not the
worlds, eh?? We survive..

	HAPPY THANKSGIVING..

--

         Hal.      GNU/Linux -- Slackware 10.1, kernel 2.4.29
.