Re: CUPS Problems

Sandra McGrew wrote:
        I'm not certain that I know how to explain this well enough so that someone
will be able to help me, but I will try... I can't get cups to work... I've got a Lexmark Z611 printer... and it is attached via usb to a Windows XP Home computer... So, I think that I need to use SMB with this... but, am not certain how to do it.. I have SMB4K installed and started, it shows no mounted shares... There is an SMB folder in each person's directory (home)... including
(root)... I see the share on the Windows XP Home computer and I see a
folder named SMB4K -> MOMO1 -> All Users
                            -> D (CD-ROM Drive)
                            -> print$ (Not certain what this is for or what it does???)

        One the Windows XP Home machine, I can see the Debian (Sarge) computer.. in
the Windows Explorer window it says, Mf.com -> debian1 server (Samba
3.0.14a-Debian)(Debian1)
                However, when I click on it to get in, it brings up a connectoid dialog
box... Connecting to Debian1... User name: Mf.com\username ( I think that's right???)
                Password: Password
        However, it tells me that I have to put it into a format like this;
                Examples:
                        User Name
                        username@domain
                        DOMAIN\username
That's the SAMBA problem, that I can't figure out...
I'm not certain, but I believe that if I could get SAMBA working right, then
the CUPS problem might be a little easier... I would appreciate any help that I can get...
                                        Most sincereley,
                                                        Dan

You have probably set up the Debian host to require authentication for SMB connections. You do this in /etc/samba/smb.conf . If your environment is sufficiently secure that you don't need this protection, the easy solution is to change the setting in this way:

	;   security = user
	security = share

Then set up at least one public share to test that this will work. An example from my server is:

	[shared_video1]
	comment = edited video - first volume
	writable = yes
	locking = no
	path = /home/shared_video1
	public = yes

(You might want to change the above to writable=no).

Then re-HUP or restart samba (e.g., as root enter "/etc/init.d/samba restart").

Even if you need to use authentication, I'd recommend this as a test step, to make sure all else is working right. Then add authentication back in. smb.conf has a section for authentication, but to help you with that, I'll need to see yours (it's probably a newer version than mine, and the format tends to change a bit).

PS - I tried to reply to your earlier query too, but the list rejected my reply as SPAM. I don't know why. Seeing if this response gets through may be instructive in that regard.

-