Re: system hangs momentarily every 4 mins 2 secs

On Saturday 26 August 2006 23:11, Raseel Bhagat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 8/27/06, mike@xxxxxxxxxx <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:55:33 -0700
> >
> > tom arnall <kloro2006@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > My system hangs momentarily every 4 mins 2 secs. The event coincides
> > > with a 'top' entry in which 'events/0' grabs 50-95% of cpu capacity.
> > > How can I determine what is causing the event?
>
> This is a long-shot but the last time I had the same problem it turned
> out that there had developed a loose connection with the heat-sink and
> processor on the motherboard.
> As a result, the processor used to over-heat in about every 3 minutes
> or so, the watchdogs would come into picture and cause the machine to
> hang or reboot.... usually reboot.
>
> Just give a quick check on your hardware before probing into the software
> side.

how did you identify the problem with the heat sink?

is it likely that a hardware problem would cause the hanging phenomenon at
such a precise interval? i ran 'top' in batch mode to a file for ~.5 hour and
also wrote down the time whenever the hang occurred, then i compared the
output of top with the 'hang moments'. there was an exact coincidence
with 'top' entries in which 'events/0' was gobbling the cpu. and these events
occurred exactly 4 mins 2 secs from each other.

i also logged the content of /proc/interrupts at intervals of ~.2 sec's. in
this case, there was no change at the 'hang moments' except that i got only 1
sample for the second in which the hang occurred. in all other cases, of
course, i got 5 samples per second.

thanks in advance,

tom arnall
north spit, ca