Re: Why "high memory" in x86?

Ok, it seems like the stuff that i wrote was not quiet clear, let me rephrase.

o When something runs on a processor, processor just understands the the privilege level (PL) of the code in case of linux it is either 0 or 3. The whole idea of kernel space
    and user space is an abstraction for understanding and implementation.

o If the processor has paging enabled (which is always true), then it requires to have
    a page table entry for every page that is accessed be it  PL 0 or PL 3.

o Now we need some code to manage to whole of the physical memory and suitably add or remove the page table entries and we call such a code as kernel code.

o In case of Linux everything that runs on the processor is always a part of something called a process. So, every instruction that runs has to be a part of some process (except for interrupts) The "process" is again a unix abstraction of grouping certain sequence of instructions.

o We say that the process has access of the whole 4 GB virtual address space as the processor
   can generate that many unique virtual addresses.

o What we say is, the first three GB address will always run at PL3 while the next 1 GB will
    be at PL 0.

o The top 1 GB address space is called the kernel and is common for all processes.

o When a process is created, the X86 linux creates a page table for process's first 3 GB entries as required by the executable running while the last 1 GB is shared with all processes
   as it is the kernel address.

o Since the kernel code has to be always present and can never be paged out, so it's entries are pinned i.e. always present in page tables. Hence we identity map the pages i.e. virtual address is same as physical address (except for the MSB nibble which is >= 0xC).

o Now the question that comes is, what if the physical memory is more then 1 GB, so for such a case we call it as high memory and manage it using temp. page table entries.

o One thing we have to note here is that, kernel is the code that creates page table entries for user process and sometimes needs to access the pages. Now for accessing the pages it needs some entry in the page table that maps the virtual page with physical page. For the first 896 MB of physical pages, the entries are identity mapped while for the rest we have to first add an entry in page table and mark it as PL0 and then only the processor
   will allow a valid access.

o If we want to access the high memory with user space addresses then kernel will have to find the virtual address in the user space which is free and map it to the high memory and such a mapping will be available only for the process as the entries are present in it's page table only. (Page tables are per process in linux)