Re: Modem Inaccessible

See comments below.

Peter wrote:
Thanks Ray!

ray@xxxxxxxxxxx said:

I'm assuming the modem is attached to a serial port

Yes, has been for years.

It would help, Peter, if you were more thorough about indicating which configuration each report is from, I'm assuming the next few entries are from the Slackware version that does NOT work.

ls -l /dev/modem
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 2006-07-18 20:29 /dev/modem -> /dev/tts/1

sudo /sbin/setserial /dev/ttyS1 -a

/dev/ttyS1, Line 1, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test auto_irq

ttyS1 used to be the place from which to run the modem I know for sure when I had kppp installed.

 sudo /sbin/setserial /dev/ttyS2 -a

/dev/ttyS2, Line 2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test auto_irq

If the above is Slackware, then ...

1. What does "sudo /sbin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a" report for it?

2. What does "sudo /sbin/setserial /dev/tts/1 -a" report for it?

3. What does "sudo /sbin/setserial /dev/tts/0 -a" (assuming there is a 0 there) report for it?

4. During init, does anything about serial ports appear in dmesg output? If so, quote it in your reply.

As a general matter, the "UART: unknown" is usually (in my actual experience, always) an indicator that the device entry is not pointing to an actual serial port.

Now this is the output in Fed4 at ttyS0:

/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test

To which modem etc. connects properly.

I don't know what "modem etc." means. Do you mean that in Fedora, /dev/modem is a symlink to this device?

Doing
sudo /sbin/setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart 16550A
I get
heisspf@~:$ sudo /sbin/setserial /dev/ttyS1 -a /dev/ttyS1, Line 1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test auto_irq

Are you back to talking about the Slackware setup again? If so, setting the UART by hand doesn't help if the device is not actually pointing to physical hardware.

With microcom which I snatched from my DSL box where again the modem is working properly:

Is the "DSL box" a physically different computer, or the same one booted differently? And are we once again back to Slackware again?

sudo  /usr/local/Microcom/microcom
Try /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0 not found

This is odd. What does "ls -l /dev/ttyS*" report?

Try /dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS1 not responding (after I set the uart 16550A)

Try /dev/ttyS2
/dev/ttyS2 not responding

Try /dev/ttyS3
/dev/ttyS3 not responding

In this kernel 2.6.16 there is no more ttyS0 instead /dev/tts/1 to 3. I know it was working with kernel 2.6.14 but now it does not even work with 2.4.31.

Did it used to work with 2.4.31? Or is what you are describing in fact te result of kernel updates? If you go back to a Slackware kernel that the modem presiously worked with, does it once again work?

Peter, there is a real and important difference between these two descriptions:

	"The modem suddenly stopped working"
	"I changed to a new kernel and the modem doesn't work"

Which of them is the correct summary of your Slackware observations?

Something broke somewhere.

Fedora4 does not run setserial neither does DSL.

How do you know? Did you grep for "setserial" in the appropriate directory (probably /etc/init.d)? If not, how did you check this?

Regards

-