Re: images -> DVD-slideshow ?

On 06-02, chuck gelm wrote:
> Howdy:
>
> What is your suggestion for an application that will convert
> many (still) images into a DVD slideshow, perhaps with
> background music?  I've been trying to obtain image2mpeg
> with varying sucess.  I was able to get a version downloaded
> and compiled.  I created an image (stream.ppm), but there
> seems to be no mention of how to get the output file onto a DVD.
>
> If the output DVD <image> is small, can it be placed on
> a (650-700MB) CDROM and played on a standard DVD player?
> If yes, how?  'growisofs' balks at writing to my CDROM media.
>
> I am using Slackware v10.2 and understand *.tar.gz.
> I am poorer at installing *.rpm, but will try if that is the only
> offering of another application.  *.deb, I don't know.
>
> Regards, Chuck

	I really wish I could make a magic suggestion, as you have
done for me in the past, but my brain is in meltdown mode with this
stuff..

	I haven't tried slide shows yet still stuck on editing
streaming video with two, partially successful, routes: Linux Video
Editor; http://lvempeg.sourceforge.net that compiles and installs
under Slack10.2, but I've not, yet, been able to figure out how to
actually edit videos, only preview.. It wont work with .avi files,
just .vob's that I've converted with videotrans' -M flag.. (You
discovered most that led up to this.) It, of course, requires a
bazillion libs that, in turn, require more libs.. <grin> LVE has a
DVDAuthoring-HOWTO that's interesting referring to many buzz words
we're now immersed in.. Of course videotrans can convert to non muxed
files; .mp2 and m2v..

Another much more powerful scheme I've installed is cinelerra:
www.cinelerra.org
the heroinewarrior.com version that only installs into FedoraCore 4,
but includes all the deps in the 30mB rpm package.. I tried cinelerra
tarball but never got it working under Slack10.2.. It's world class
and you can do everything with it including washing dishes I think..

It requires a .vob file too and I've been able to do some simple
editing but there are still many problems.. Work in progress with
both of them of course.. Warp hours per usual.. The blurb says that
cinelerra is "professional."

Cinelerra recommends Kino for blokes like me but I got nowhere with
it, especially since it's sort of designed for digital camera to
editor and back... The various codecs can drive one to drink too..
<g>

There are some tutorials about the diff between tarballs and rpm
files and how to convert one scheme to the other.. I can't find it
now--so what's new, eh??

Not much help, I know, but, just perhaps it might ring a bell
somewhere.. Best..

--

    Hal - in Terra Alta, WV/US - Slackware GNU/Linux 10.1   (2.4.29)
.