Re: chmod u+s confusion

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 08:42 +0000, David Fierbaugh wrote:
> I'd have to actually do a little playing around to make sure, but I believe
> that whoami is specifically written to NOT take SUID into account. It figures
> out exactly who ran the process which called it.
>
> This prevents faking out whoami into saying everyone is root.

I probably should have mentioned that this was just a PoC for what I was
trying to do. I'm actually trying to have the script create a file
someplace like /etc/cron.hourly. It has limited uses (and only my user
and root will be able to run it -- root group), but the script is
refusing to create the file.

> Why?
> Let's say you have a script that runs whoami to determine what
> access/control/etc a user should be given. If an attacker could manage to
> fake whoami into always saying the user was root by using suid, then they now
> have administrative access to whatever that script does.
>
> This would be a bad thing.
>
> You might also want to take a look at /bin/id

/usr/bin/id (where my id program is placed) still returns my username.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still stumped :)

--
Chris Largret <http://daga.dyndns.org>

-