Re: chmod u+s confusion

I'd have to actually do a little playing around to make sure, but I believe
that whoami is specifically written to NOT take SUID into account. It figures
out exactly who ran the process which called it.

This prevents faking out whoami into saying everyone is root.

Why?
Let's say you have a script that runs whoami to determine what
access/control/etc a user should be given. If an attacker could manage to
fake whoami into always saying the user was root by using suid, then they now
have administrative access to whatever that script does.

This would be a bad thing.

You might also want to take a look at /bin/id

--David