Re: Printing with Kernel 2.6.14.4

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:20:07 -0800
Ray Olszewski <ray@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Peter wrote:
> > Thanks Hal!
> >
> > As I mentioned in another mail your suggestion of "cat file > /dev/lp0"
works
> > in root when there is no Internet connection. However, I cannot print when
> > disconnected using "cat file | lpr". Giving lpq it will just sit doing
>> nothing  when not connected.
>
> Right. This is pretty consistent with the rest of what you have
> reported. The kernel driver itself works just fine (that's the piece
> that connects the device pseudofile /dev/lp0 to the parallel port, hence
> to the printer). But cupsd (the printer daemon that listens on UDP port
> 631 and/or a Unix port) is somehow misconfigured to require networking
> to be active.
>
> One possibility is that your printer database (in /etc/printcap, the one
> lpr uses, or in /etc/cups/printers.conf, the one cupsd uses) is set to
> identify all printers, even local ones, as remote printers. This could
> cause them to become inaccessible if your network interface is not
> configured. You would fix this by fixing printcap &/or printers.conf ...
> I can't be more specific without seeing the actual contents of the files.

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.23
# Written by cupsd on Tue Mar 28 15:21:02 2006
<DefaultPrinter 24-Pin-Series>
Info 24-Pin-Series
DeviceURI epson:/dev/lp0
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

> A more involved possibility is that for some reason you have cupsd set
> to listen only on the network interface's address and not also on
> localhost (I believe it defaults to listening on all interfaces, so this
> would be a local error; check /etc/cups/cupsd.conf). So if your
> networking is not active ... by which I mean eth0 (or perhaps ppp0) is
> not configured (which could happen if you get it configured via DHCP (or
> PPPoE) ... I don't know the details of your Internet connection, so I'm
> guessing pretty openly here) ... there is no place for cupsd to listen.

I have a broadband connection via DHCP

> Check this with "netstat -ln |grep 631" to see what cupsd is listening
> on. Check this when you are not connected to the network (with the exact
> meaning of "not connected" being the state your host was in when it
> would not print). If cupsd is listening properly, you should see
> something about like this:

sudo /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 stop
heisspf@~:$ netstat -ln |grep 631
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*

sudo /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 start
heisspf@~:$ netstat -ln |grep 631
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*

There seems to be no difference

> 	udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*
>
> If you don't then your problem is a misconfiguration of CUPS and
> networking. I can't tell you how to fix this without seeing your system
> setup, but look at whatever init script starts cupsd, as well as
> cupsd.conf, to see if either is limiting the interfaces cupsd will
> listen on.

On separate mail I am sending to you /etc/rc.d/rc.cupsd as an attachment.

This is from cupsd.conf which I have never touched.

# Listen to (Port/Listen)
#
# Ports/addresses that are listened to.  The default port 631 is reserved
# for the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) and is what is used here.
#
# You can have multiple Port/Listen lines to listen to more than one
# port or address, or to restrict access.
#
# Note: Unfortunately, most web browsers don't support TLS or HTTP Upgrades
# for encryption.  If you want to support web-based encryption you will
# probably need to listen on port 443 (the "HTTPS" port...).
#
# ex: 631, myhost:80, 1.2.3.4:631
#
#    Port 80
#    Port 631
#    Listen hostname
#    Listen hostname:80
#    Listen hostname:631
#    Listen 1.2.3.4
#    Listen 1.2.3.4:631
#
#Port 631

Listen *:631

> Depending on lpr expects about printers (from their printcap entries),
> it may also fail if there is nothing listening on port 515/tcp.
>
> All of this really is just a bunch of guesses, though.
>
> > I installed kernel 2.6.13 and the above is the same. However, there is a
> > provision for parallel port for local printer in gnome-cups-manager unlike
in
> > kernel 2.4.14.4 there is that provision only for Network printer.

This does not hold any longer after I enabled paraport_pc and lp modules in
rc.modules.

> I'm a bit confused here, Peter. CUPS is a service for managing access to
> printers (an alternative to lpd), not part of a kernel. I can well
> imagine that the versions of Slackware that install the two kernels are
> different enough that they also have different versions of CUPS. But
> once more, this is NOT a kernel problem, at least not from what you are
> reporting about your tests.
>
> > Beside the
> > point with 2.6.13 I have no sound since module snd_via82xx can not be
found.
> > Beats me.
>
> Are you using OSS or ALSA sound? From kernel source (I actually checked
> 2.6.11, not .13), the relevant OSS module appears to be SOUND_VIA82CXXX.
> But 2.6.x kernels are supposed to use ALSA sound, with the relevant name
> the one you list (snd-via82xx).

I am using ALSA

> I'm not quite sure what your phrase "module snd_via82xx can not be
> found" means. Do you mean that the kernel fails to load it? Or that you
> yourself cannot find snd-via82xx.ko, by a manual search, in
> /lib/modules/2.6.13? Or that it is not listed in
> /lib/modules/2.6.13/modules.dep? Or something else?

That is the message on booting. FATAL failed to load module snd_via82xx

> You may need to check whether Slackware provides modules for precompiled
> kernels in multiple packages. I can't think of any other reason why a
> precompiled 2.6.x kernel should be missing this module. (Well, I suppose
> it could be compiled in directly, but then your sound should work ...
> and that's not a very usual practice except for embedded systems.

I just went back to kernel 2.6.14.4 where all snd.... modules are loaded.

Regards
Peter

--
Peter