Re: Printing with Kernel 2.6.14.4

Peter wrote:
Thanks Hal!

As I mentioned in another mail your suggestion of "cat file > /dev/lp0" works in root when there is no Internet connection. However, I cannot print when disconnected using "cat file | lpr". Giving lpq it will just sit doing nothing when not connected.

Right. This is pretty consistent with the rest of what you have reported. The kernel driver itself works just fine (that's the piece that connects the device pseudofile /dev/lp0 to the parallel port, hence to the printer). But cupsd (the printer daemon that listens on UDP port 631 and/or a Unix port) is somehow misconfigured to require networking to be active.

One possibility is that your printer database (in /etc/printcap, the one lpr uses, or in /etc/cups/printers.conf, the one cupsd uses) is set to identify all printers, even local ones, as remote printers. This could cause them to become inaccessible if your network interface is not configured. You would fix this by fixing printcap &/or printers.conf ... I can't be more specific without seeing the actual contents of the files.

A more involved possibility is that for some reason you have cupsd set to listen only on the network interface's address and not also on localhost (I believe it defaults to listening on all interfaces, so this would be a local error; check /etc/cups/cupsd.conf). So if your networking is not active ... by which I mean eth0 (or perhaps ppp0) is not configured (which could happen if you get it configured via DHCP (or PPPoE) ... I don't know the details of your Internet connection, so I'm guessing pretty openly here) ... there is no place for cupsd to listen.

Check this with "netstat -ln |grep 631" to see what cupsd is listening on. Check this when you are not connected to the network (with the exact meaning of "not connected" being the state your host was in when it would not print). If cupsd is listening properly, you should see something about like this:

	udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*

If you don't then your problem is a misconfiguration of CUPS and networking. I can't tell you how to fix this without seeing your system setup, but look at whatever init script starts cupsd, as well as cupsd.conf, to see if either is limiting the interfaces cupsd will listen on.

Depending on lpr expects about printers (from their printcap entries), it may also fail if there is nothing listening on port 515/tcp.

All of this really is just a bunch of guesses, though.

I installed kernel 2.6.13 and the above is the same. However, there is a provision for parallel port for local printer in gnome-cups-manager unlike in kernel 2.4.14.4 there is that provision only for Network printer.

I'm a bit confused here, Peter. CUPS is a service for managing access to printers (an alternative to lpd), not part of a kernel. I can well imagine that the versions of Slackware that install the two kernels are different enough that they also have different versions of CUPS. But once more, this is NOT a kernel problem, at least not from what you are reporting about your tests.

Beside the point with 2.6.13 I have no sound since module snd_via82xx can not be found. Beats me.

Are you using OSS or ALSA sound? From kernel source (I actually checked 2.6.11, not .13), the relevant OSS module appears to be SOUND_VIA82CXXX. But 2.6.x kernels are supposed to use ALSA sound, with the relevant name the one you list (snd-via82xx).

I'm not quite sure what your phrase "module snd_via82xx can not be found" means. Do you mean that the kernel fails to load it? Or that you yourself cannot find snd-via82xx.ko, by a manual search, in /lib/modules/2.6.13? Or that it is not listed in /lib/modules/2.6.13/modules.dep? Or something else?

You may need to check whether Slackware provides modules for precompiled kernels in multiple packages. I can't think of any other reason why a precompiled 2.6.x kernel should be missing this module. (Well, I suppose it could be compiled in directly, but then your sound should work ... and that's not a very usual practice except for embedded systems.

Regards

-