Re: nic enumeration

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Loke, Chetan <Chetan.Loke@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

The issues are different between network device and filesystem names,
yes. I was just saying that symbolic linking / aliasing are tricky.
udev symlinks introduce no *new* security issues because they're
filesystem links. Renaming the network interface certainly does cause
problems. And I don't know how the queues are connected to the devices
internally, but I doubt it's by name.

> May be I'm overlooking at something really obvious. But how are people
> managing [pv]drivers with multiple vNICs in their VMs if they need a
> consistent naming scheme?

Your problem is different from the one that began this thread. Can you
describe your situation more fully?

I only partially understand your problem, but I am still wondering if
my bridge idea would work for you. (Preferably combined with udev
rules or whatever so the bridges are unnecessary after the next
reboot.)