Re: nic enumeration

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Loke, Chetan <Chetan.Loke@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok, no renaming, I would like a reference. And symlink just doesn't work
> w/ the udevadm trigger business. We've tried that already.
>
> What needs to be changed in udev etc to create a soft link? Any place
> where I should start digging and gotchas to lookout for?

By "soft link", I assume you're talking figuratively? Soft (symbolic)
links are a filesystem concept, implemented by filesystem-specific
logic that knows how to read a filename out of an inode and restart
lookup. In order for something similar to work for network devices,
somebody would have had to explicitly implement similar functionality.
(Symlinks are a big headache and source of security holes -- access
control, loops, pointing to nonexistent files, etc. -- so there's a
good reason to NOT have an equivalent for network devices.)

But perhaps there *is* an equivalent: what about (ab)using bridges?
Create a set of bridges and bind each one to a single NIC. You can
name the bridges whatever you want, and set up the mapping through
arbitrary logic.