Re: bnx2 rx_filtered_packets statistic?

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Brian Haley wrote:

> On 07/01/2010 08:04 PM, Charlie Brady wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with lost network traffic within a
> > cluster. The hardware is HP DL380 with BCM5708 NICs. The only abnormality
> > I've spotted is a high number in the ex_filtered_packets statistic. I
> > haven't been able to find out what that means. All I see in the driver is
> > that it seems to be an alias for stat_IfInFramesL2FilterDiscards in the
> > statistics block from the NIC firmware or hardware.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what this L2 filter is and when/why it discards frames?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > [root@vmnode1 ~]# ethtool -S eth1
> > NIC statistics:
> <snip>
> >      rx_filtered_packets: 1172921
>
> This is the explanation I got from Broadcom when I saw this:

Thanks, that's handy.

> "Filtered packets are dropped by the hardware when they don't match the
> L2 perfect match filters, mcast hash filters and broadcast filter.
> These filters are programmed based on the NIC's MAC address, multicast
> list from the stack and broadcast is always enabled."
>
> Under normal operation I believe the counter will go up...

What would cause it to go up in normal operation?

> Are you seeing any particular type of packets being dropped?  For example,
> can you send/receive both IPv4 and IPv6 "pings" on that NIC?

I don't know what is being dropped. I do know that cluster heartbeat
traffic between the two nodes sometimes stops, leading to cluster failover
and fencing. I don't know what is causing the traffic stalls, but NIC
driver issues is high on the suspicion list. Platform is CentOS 5, not
fully updates - kernel is 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.

The traffic passing between the nodes is unicast IP, broadcast IP and
multicast.

---
Charlie