Re: bnx2 rx_filtered_packets statistic?

On 07/01/2010 08:04 PM, Charlie Brady wrote:

> I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with lost network traffic within a
> cluster. The hardware is HP DL380 with BCM5708 NICs. The only abnormality
> I've spotted is a high number in the ex_filtered_packets statistic. I
> haven't been able to find out what that means. All I see in the driver is
> that it seems to be an alias for stat_IfInFramesL2FilterDiscards in the
> statistics block from the NIC firmware or hardware.
>
> Can anyone tell me what this L2 filter is and when/why it discards frames?
>
> Thanks
>
> [root@vmnode1 ~]# ethtool -S eth1
> NIC statistics:
<snip>
>      rx_filtered_packets: 1172921

This is the explanation I got from Broadcom when I saw this:

"Filtered packets are dropped by the hardware when they don't match the
L2 perfect match filters, mcast hash filters and broadcast filter.
These filters are programmed based on the NIC's MAC address, multicast
list from the stack and broadcast is always enabled."

Under normal operation I believe the counter will go up...

Are you seeing any particular type of packets being dropped?  For example,
can you send/receive both IPv4 and IPv6 "pings" on that NIC?

-Brian