From: linux-net-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-net-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of wk
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:56 AM
To: linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Multipath route

Hello,

Some time ago we were faced with a problem with multiple network
interfaces in the same subnetwork.
We would like to use several NIC's with IP addresses from the same
subnetwork with link redundancy functionality.

If link redundancy is what you are after, you might want to consider
Ethernet bonding as an alternative. Instead of several network
interfaces
each with its own IP address, you get a single virtual interface that
you
assign addresses to and the physical interfaces become slaves to that
virtual interface. The bonding code switches the active interface when
the
current active interface's link goes down.

See linux/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt in your kernel source
tree.

Note there were at one time issues with using IPv6 over bonded
interfaces.
I don't know if they have been addressed in newer kernel versions, but
for
IPv4 it seems to work fine. Brocade has used it on some of its SAN
products for a few years now.

Jose,

Could you try to apply the patch I've sent yesterday and tell us if it
works for you?

This patch can be applied against 2.6.33 kernel and probably earlier
kernel versions, although I tested it only on 2.6.33.

Im running a RedHat 2.6.18-164.2.1.el5 and it supposed to be supported by
the Redhat after, so think I cannot patch the kernel....
But from your previous post, it seems to do what I wanned, I cant have
that behavior from non patched kernel?

Jose,

To be honest it's hard to say because I have no opportunity (and also time) to check this on RedHat 2.6.18-164.2.1.el5 kernel.

A quick advice:
as I remember the *vanilla* 2.6.18 kernel has support for more than one algorithm of selecting paths:

- round-robin
- random
- wrandom
- drr

but I don't know if they are in RedHat 2.6.18-164.2.1.el5 kernel.
If yes - maybe you can try to use one of them?

What about the RedHat support?
Maybe they will help you?

regards,
WK