RE: Multipath route

If link redundancy is what you are after, you might want to consider Ethernet bonding as an alternative. Instead of several network interfaces each with its own IP address, you get a single virtual interface that you assign addresses to and the physical interfaces become slaves to that virtual interface. The bonding code switches the active interface when the current active interface's link goes down.

See linux/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt in your kernel source tree.

Note there were at one time issues with using IPv6 over bonded interfaces. I don't know if they have been addressed in newer kernel versions, but for IPv4 it seems to work fine. Brocade has used it on some of its SAN products for a few years now.

Jeff Haran
Brocade Communications Systems