Re: Multipath Static Route

jose nuno neto writes:

I'm trying to setup a failover static route that allow some redundancy in
case one interface is not working ok

I set this with ip route add

172.26.240.4
        nexthop via 172.26.247.248  dev bond1 weight 1
        nexthop via 172.26.31.248  dev bond0 weight 1

And if the first route fails the second gets active, but later if the that
seconde fails and the first is ok, no failback happens

Is this a timing? How does the kernel is doing the route check?

Are you using Julian Anastasov's patches? [http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/]

It might be that the kernel does not know the first route is available again. Documentend in the dead gateway detection document is that you need to actively ping the uplink gateways in order to make sure the kernel knows whether or not they are alive.

And another thought: how does the route "fail"? If your interface is going down, you might want to add the routes with "proto static" (though I don't know if that's possible with an unpatched kernel).

Regards,

roel